UFS 4.0 vs UFS 3.1: Specs comparison.
UFS 4.0 vs 3.1, should you wait for a device with UFS 4.0 or get a flagship device with UFS 3.1?
One area where technology has been consistent is in advancement and constant development. The recent launch of UFS 4.0 is a good example of how fast and how well this area of development is thriving.
UFS 4.0 was launched by Samsung May 3rd, 2022. After the launch, a lot of our readers suggested we give a comparison of UFS 4.0 vs UFS 3.1 storage chipsets, and we have concurred.
UFS 4.0 is yet to appear on any device, so bear in mind that this comparison is based on the specifications we collated from our credible sources online, we did not test any device with the said storage chipset above.
Highlights of UFS 4.0
According to Samsung, the UFS 4.0 brings improvements in areas like:
- Samsung’s 7th Generation V-NAND memory and proprietary controller.
- 4200mbps sequential read speed.
- 2800mbps sequential write speed
- UFS 4.0 will deliver a sequential read speed of 6.0mbps per mA, which is a 46% improvement over UFS 3.1.
- Not present in any device as at the time of documenting this
Highlights of UFS 3.1
UFS 3.1 was launched in February, 2020. Though it is now considered as an old storage solution thanks to the launch of UFS 4.0, UFS 3.1 isn't a bad storage chip, thanks to features like:
- Performance Throttling Notification: allows the UFS device to notify the host when storage performance is throttled due to high temperature.
- DeepSleep: a new UFS device low power state targeting lower-cost systems that share UFS voltage regulators with other functions.
- Write Booster: an SLC non-volatile cache that amplifies write speed.
- Old, and less power efficient when compared to UFS 4.0
To give a more detailed comparison between the UFS 4.0 and 3.1, we will need proper testing of the UFS 4.0 in a device. Due to the speculated time frame, we do not expect to see the UFS 4.0 until Q1 2023. If you are in the market for a flagship device, a device with the UFS 3.1 isn't a bad buy, but if you can wait around until Q2, 2023 for a device with the UFS 4.0, we can only wish you well.
It's been zesushv here, until the next one, do have a wonderful day.